A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Burnsville Historical Society and other local efforts > The Landing - reflecting life in the Minnesota River Valley from the 1840s- 1890s. Shakopee MN
The Landing - Minnesota River Heritage Park
The interior of the General Store at Eagle Creek.

The Burnsville Historical Society is using photographs we took at the site to reflect the lives of our earliest settlers who first lived in cabins and then farm houses. 

Shown is an 1880's General Store at the Landing set in the Village of Eagle Creek which is similar to the Berrisford Store in Burnsville. The Berrisford Store was located on the borders of Burnsville (Dakota County) and Hamilton (now Savage in Scott County). When talking with the owner "in character" he said he was well aware of Berrisford's neighboring store.

When the Civil War broke out, Berrisford enlisted with the Third Minnesota, serving with that regiment until the battle of Murfreesboro.

The regiment was later sent back to Minnesota on parole, and upon arriving here was sent out to western Minnesota to help quell the Indian uprising.

In doing so, the regiment participated in the Battle of Wood Lake.

It was after the war that John Berrisford opened a general store in Burnsville, near what is now the junction of Judicial Road and County Road 34.

At the time, this was on the old Shakopee-St. Paul Road, along which much of the horse and wagon traffic of that day travelled.

Nearby, the original St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was located. Thus, this became one of the most strategic locations of the community, serving the residents of Burnsville and also those of Hamilton, now Savage.

The Landing - Minnesota River Heritage Park

The interior of the General Store at Eagle Creek.

The Burnsville Historical Society is using photographs we took at the site to reflect the lives of our earliest settlers who first lived in cabins and then farm houses.

Shown is an 1880's General Store at the Landing set in the Village of Eagle Creek which is similar to the Berrisford Store in Burnsville. The Berrisford Store was located on the borders of Burnsville (Dakota County) and Hamilton (now Savage in Scott County). When talking with the owner "in character" he said he was well aware of Berrisford's neighboring store.

When the Civil War broke out, Berrisford enlisted with the Third Minnesota, serving with that regiment until the battle of Murfreesboro.

The regiment was later sent back to Minnesota on parole, and upon arriving here was sent out to western Minnesota to help quell the Indian uprising.

In doing so, the regiment participated in the Battle of Wood Lake.

It was after the war that John Berrisford opened a general store in Burnsville, near what is now the junction of Judicial Road and County Road 34.

At the time, this was on the old Shakopee-St. Paul Road, along which much of the horse and wagon traffic of that day travelled.

Nearby, the original St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was located. Thus, this became one of the most strategic locations of the community, serving the residents of Burnsville and also those of Hamilton, now Savage.

In_his_store_at_the_Landing.JPG Landing_brochure_2018.pdf Landing_general_store.JPG Landing_map_2018.pdf later_kitchen_farm_house.JPG
Rate this file (No vote yet)
File information
Filename:Landing_general_store.JPG
Album name:jack / The Landing - reflecting life in the Minnesota River Valley from the 1840s- 1890s. Shakopee MN
Filesize:1873 KiB
Date added:Jun 08, 2018
Dimensions:2736 x 3648 pixels
Displayed:80 times
URL:http://burnsvillehistory.org/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=11231
Favorites:Add to Favorites
Add your comment
Anonymous comments are not allowed here. Log in to post your comment