A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Neighboring Towns > Eagan, Mendota and Lilydale Minnesota

hedges_plaza.JPG
Hedges Plaza at Historic Eagan Town HallTom Hedges Town Hall Plaza was officially dedicated during a ceremony July 2017 at the 1914 Town Hall in Eagan. Hedges was Eagan’s first city administrator and guided Eagan from a rural township to the city it is today.He moved to Eagan with his wife Debbie in 1976 when there were 16,000 residents. During the 37 years Hedges served, the city grew to 65,000 and staff grew to more than 235 employees.
Helen_and_Tom_Slaters_house_IMG_1991.JPG
Tom and Helen Slater farm EaganTom and Helen Slater's home which stood across from Rahn Park on Nicols Road, then Cedar Avenue.
Herbie_s_superette.jpg
Herbie's Superette EaganApril 11, 1968 Minnesota Valley Review ad for Herbie's Superette, located next to Harold's Center behind Cedarvale.
Historic_mendota_signs.JPG
Historic MendotaA directional sign to historic sites in Mendota 2018.
historic_sibley_house.pdf
Sibley Historic site brochure 20171356 Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota MN. The historic site is managed by the Dakota County Historical Society.
This brochure provides the 2017 site schedule including: Mendota After Hours, Sibley High Tea, Family Arts Day and teh Fur Trade Weekend.
historycityhalleagan.JPG
Historic Eagan Town HallThe 1914 Town Hall was restored and reopened following arson. This original painting showing the early years is found in the present City Hall. According to a Star Tribune article: February 17, 2016...

At the time of the fire, the Historical Society was operating a museum out of the town hall. Though the responding firefighters saved what they could, old photos, news clippings, maps and original glass in the building’s windows were lost.

The overall project cost about $500,000, paid with a combination of insurance money, grant dollars and city funds, said City Administrator Dave Osberg. The city is also soliciting donations — and has raised about $16,000 so far — that may go toward restrooms or an outbuilding for the Eagan Historical Society.

Eagan didn’t become a city until the 1970s, but its roots as a township trace back to 1860. The historic town hall was the community’s central meeting place until 1965, though it wasn’t the first — another town hall, built in 1893, burned down.
historydisplayeaganmn.JPG
Eagan Historical Display at City HallLocated on the lower level of City Hall is a three section display featuring information on Eagan's History and people. This shows the 2017 featured information.
history_of_cedarvale.pdf
Cedar Grove, a reinvigorated downtownFeb. 2022 - South Eagan Neighbors Magazine.
History_overview_of_Eagan.pdf
A brief history of EaganA brief history of Eagan, created by the city 1740 - 1995.
holz_farm_2008.jpg
Holz farm Eagan 2008Eagan Holz Family Farmstead - 2008

Ground was broken by the Holz family in the 1870's on their 80 acre homestead. They raised livestock, crops, fruits, and vegetables until 1993 with the passing of Otto and Ella Holz.

The property had originally been purchased by developers intending to build residences, but in 1995, the city of Eagan purchased the property for use as a living farm museum which you can visit to this day.
House_of_Wing_PDF.pdf
House of Wing excels in Cantonese specialities 1976July 28, 1976 Burnsville Sun

Expert Chef Wing Seto supervises the preparation of all menu items at House of Wing near Cedarvale in Eagan...
Ibook_aims_MG_0001.pdf
Lone Oak Years aims at July 4 releaseApril 11, 1985 Dakota County Tribune:

Tales of Eagan's past, the book the Lone Oak Years" aims to be released July 4.
img027.jpg
Jim Scott - EaganJim Scott operated the general store at near Nicols Station in Eagan.
img058.jpg
$4 million shopping center planned for Cedar GroveMinnesota Valley Review - August 26, 1965.

The first part of an article announcing Cedarvale....
IMG_0001.pdf
Mike's Shoe Repair2018 business card for Mike's Shoe Repair, serving Eagan for over 40 years.
IMG_0002~4.jpg
Cedar Cliff Shopping CenterCedar Cliff Shopping Center, July 30, 1984 Eagan Chronicle. Opening fall of 1984.
IMG_0083_reduced.JPG
Cedarvale Lanes 2017Entry to the Cedarvale lanes.
IMG_0085_reduced.JPG
Cedarvale Lanes 2017Bowling balls await morning leagues.
IMG_0217.JPG
Valley Lounge - Eagan May, 2017New owners remodeling the long time Eagan business located at 3385 Sibley Memorial Highway and established in 1931.
IMG_1278.JPG
Cedar Nicols TrailBelow the Cedar Avenue Bridge, off Nicols Road.
IMG_1283.JPG
Jens Caspersen landing This landing is named in recognition of Jens A. Caspersen.
IMG_1556.JPG
Starks 2018Back view of Starks 2018 in Eagan.
img_2049.pdf
Dog saves couple at Meadow Inn fireApril 14, 1944 Minneapolis Star Tribune: Meadow Inn burns in Eagan.
img_2060.pdf
Scherer yard in Eagan is tourist attraction1979 - Newspaper clipping - Dakota County Tribune features the popular gardens of Richard Scherer at 1535 Cliff Road.
IMG_2083.JPG
Mike's Shoe Repair EaganIn business over 50 years, Mike's Shoe Repair began in the Cedarvale Mall.
IMG_2084.JPG
Mike's Shoe Repair EaganIn business over 50 years, Mike's Shoe Repair began in the Cedarvale Mall.
IMG_2302.JPG
Eagan City Hall 2019Close up of the new signage at City Hall, showing the new 2019 Lone Oak Tree logo for the City of Eagan.
IMG_2336.JPG
Lone Oak Tree sculptureThe Lone Oak Tree, the symbol of Eagan, now a sculpture outside of City Hall, 2019.
IMG_6602.JPG
Nicols Depot Eagan to close 1964July 9, 1964 Dakota County Tribune reports on the closing of the Nicols Depot. (Spelling is also seen as Nichols). This depot provided residents access to the train.
IMG_6824.JPG
Multiple use building today - 2017The building shown in a prior photo has been replaced by town homes on Beau D Rue Drive.
843 files on 29 page(s) 14