A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Neighboring Towns > Eagan, Mendota and Lilydale Minnesota

lone_oak_book.jpg
Eagan history bookThe history of Eagan is found in this community published book.
lone_oak_tree_fate.pdf
Lone Oak TreeAn undated clipping shows the Lone Oak Tree's original purpose - a central placement of official notices for the community.
looking_toward_ice_arena.JPG
Looking toward Ice Arena from Eagan City HallFrom the second floor of the Eagan City Hall the Ice Arena is visible through the framing glass windows.
lost_spur_eagan_1958.jpg
Lost SpurrThe lost Spurr on Highway 13 in Eagan 1958.
lower_level_display.JPG
Lower level lobby City of Eagan 2017Display cases of historical information can be found on the first floor of the Eagan City Hall.
lower_lobby_eagan.JPG
Lower level lobby City of Eagan 2017
Lower_MN_River_Roadhouses_2005.pdf
Roadhouses in Eagan area - 2005Across the River and into the roadhouses - published by the online Lower Mississippi River Watershed District News in June 2005. Included - the River Boat Club under the Mendota Bridge in Mendota and the Meadow Inn (also known as Callan's Meadow Inn) at Cedar Avenue in Nicols Eagan.
Lutheran_4656.JPG
Trinity Lone Oak ChurchThe oldest church in Eagan also near the site of the Lone Oak Tree. Founded in 1880, the church has been a landmark in Eagan. The first church building was dedicated in 1882 and served the members for over 20 years. The second church, plus numerous additions and upgrades have served the congregation for over one hundred years.
Lutheran__4660.JPG
Trinity Lone Oak ChurchThe oldest church in Eagan also near the site of the Lone Oak Tree. Founded in 1880, the church has been a landmark in Eagan. The first church building was dedicated in 1882 and served the members for over 20 years. The second church, plus numerous additions and upgrades have served the congregation for over one hundred years.
mapofeaganpark12.pdf
Map of Eagan parks2017 - map shows location of Eagan parks.
March_152C_1973.JPG
Bulk Mailing CenterMarch 15, 1973 Dakota County Tribune - New Bulk Mailing Center coming to Eagan.
market_closes.pdf
Adelmann's market in Eagan is no moreApril 7, 2011 Dakota County Tribune:

After 50 years and the death of Betty Adelmann, the flower and vegaetable market at Highway 13 and Shawnee Road is sold.
mark_male_room.jpg
Cedarvale Shopping Center Eagan1972 the lower level garden court opens with the Male Room.
Martin_d.pdf
Martin DesLauriers dies 2019Eagan's first chief of police dies at age 87.


Martin F. DesLAURIERS


Age 87 Eagan's 1st Police Chief Beloved husband, father, grandfather, great grand-father and friend to many. Martin was born on August 13, 1931 in St. Paul and passed away on July 13, 2019 from complications of a stroke. Martin came from a large family (7 sisters and 2 brothers) and grew up on the family farm in Eagan on Yankee Doodle Road, where he spent his childhood enjoying the freedom and fun of rural Eagan and helping on the farm. His grandparents originated from St. Antoine Sur Richlieu in Quebec.

In 1951 he married the love of his life Marie (Weinzettel) DesLauriers and celebrated 67 years together before Marie passed away in March of 2018. They adopted 3 children together, their son Paul, and twin daughters Anne and Jayne. Martin was appointed Constable of Eagan Township in 1951, and in 1965 he became Eagan's first Police Chief. He spent 32 years of his life serving a community that he loved so much and often spoke about how proud he was to serve.

He knew everyone back in the day and was virtually a walking history book of Eagan. He was a great story teller and loved talking about the old days and getting together to reminisce with family, friends and those he worked with over the years. Martin loved his family and had a full life with them. Some of his favorite activities were going on horse rides, snowmobiling, dancing, playing cards, fishing and having cousins over for bonfires and cookouts down in the woods. After retiring from the Police Department, Martin and Marie spent their winters in Mesa, AZ golfing, socializing and enjoying the sunshine.

He was a man of faith, integrity and giving to others. He leaves a legacy that we're all proud of. Martin is survived by his son Paul of Osakis, MN, daughters Jayne of Boston, MA and Anne of Ely, MN; grandchildren Brian (Lindsay) DesLauriers, Amy (Jeff) Rivard, Jennifer (Owen Carlander) DesLauriers, and Kevin (Becky) DesLauriers; great grandchildren Eli, Noah and Micah DesLauriers, Lexi Ashlyn and Ava Rivard, Penny and Maddox DesLauriers; sisters Helen Gerten, Eileen Welsch, Alice DesLauriers, and Kathleen Giguere; and brother Louie DesLauriers. Mass of Christian Burial 11am Saturday July 20th at St. John Neumann Church (4030 Pilot Knob Rd @ Deerwood Dr. in Eagan) with a visitation beginning at the church at 9:30am. Interment St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery in Mendota, MN. 651-454-9488
Martin_dies.pdf
Eagan's first police chief Martin DesLauriers, a walking history book dies at 87 - 2019July 24, 2019 St. Paul Pioneer Press reports:


Eagan’s first police chief, a ‘walking history book,’ dies at 87

Photo: A 1965 newspaper photo shows Eagan’s first police chief, Martin DesLauriers, and officers Richard LeMay and Don Smith with the department’s first police cruiser, a 1965 Ford station wagon. (Courtesy of city of Eagan)
By Nick Ferraro


When Eagan Township got its first police cruiser in 1965, it was a big deal to then-Chief Martin DesLauriers and the community where he grew up.

DesLauriers and his tiny staff of officers often had just a handful of calls a week, driving on the gravel roads in their own cars. But the new Ford station wagon was seen as a sign of progress.
Martin DesLauriers, Eagan’s first chief who held the post from 1965 to 1983, died July 13 from complications of a stroke. He was 87. (Courtesy of DesLauriers family)

“It was hard to imagine Eagan Township ever buying a car for police,” DesLauriers told the Pioneer Press in a 2015 interview. “So it was nice to have, for sure. We only had one truck for snowplowing.”

Funeral services were held Saturday for DesLauriers, Eagan’s first chief who held the post from 1965 to 1983. DesLauriers died July 13 from complications of a stroke. He was 87.

Before becoming chief, DesLauriers was a township constable, an elected job he landed at 20 in 1951. For many years, police calls went directly to DesLauriers’ house, with his wife, Marie, serving as dispatcher.

“We really were like a big family,” he said. “Every officer had a monitor in his home. If someone went out on a call, probably two or three off-duty officers showed up in their own cars to assist.”

Eagan Township’s police department was formed in June 1965. Richard LeMay and Don Smith were the department’s part-time officers. The annual budget was $23,000.

His daughter Jayne DesLauriers recalled the time when she and her two siblings were riding in a police cruiser with their dad and how he got an urgent call. He “opened the window and put a light on the outside of the car, like the old movies,” she said. “And away we went.”

She said her father came from a large family — he had nine siblings — and grew up on along Yankee Doodle Road, back when Eagan was a rural outpost of 7,000 residents or so. He graduated from Monroe High School in St. Paul.

In 1951, he and Marie married. They adopted and raised three children — son, Paul, and twin daughters, Anne and Jayne. Marie passed away in March 2018.

DesLauriers was “a walking history book of Eagan” who enjoyed telling old stories to family, friends and those he worked with over the years, his daughter said.

“For 87, almost 88 years old, he could remember details and people like we just couldn’t believe,” she said. “He virtually knew everybody when it was it small township. Obviously times changed, and so did Eagan. But he really was part of the fabric of this community.”

In addition to his daughter, Jayne DesLauriers, of Boston, Mass., he is survived by children, Paul DesLauriers, of Osakis, Minn., and daughter Anne of DesLauriers Ely, Minn; four grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren; four sisters and a brother.
Mar_282C_1963_Cedarvale_announced.JPG
Cedarvale announcedMarch 28, 1963 Dakota County Tribune, Cedarvale announced.
matchbook.jpg
Parker HouseThe former Parker House was where Axel's River Grille is now located in Mendota. It was a popular dinner club and bar.
Match_books_for_Eagan.jpg
Shattuck DairyMatch books for Shattuck Dairy at Highway 13 and Cedar Avenue.
May_142C1984_Durnings.JPG
DurningsMay 14, 1984 Burnsville Current ad for Durnings, Eagan.
MDaltar_close_up.JPG
St. Peters Catholic Mendota HistoryThe oldest Catholic Church in Minnesota is St. Peter's in Mendota. Shown is the original altar from the 1842 log chapel built by Father Galtier and is now in place in an adoration chapel.
MD_Lemay_family.JPG
St. Peters Catholic Mendota HistoryThe oldest Catholic Church in Minnesota is St. Peter's in Mendota. Shown is the history of the original altar from the 1842 log chapel built by Father Galtier and is now in place in an adoration chapel.
MD_St_Peters_altar.JPG
St. Peters Catholic Mendota HistoryThe oldest Catholic Church in Minnesota is St. Peter's in Mendota. Shown is the original altar from the 1842 log chapel built by Father Galtier and is now in place in an adoration chapel.
meadow_inn.JPG
Meadow InnHere is a pic of the flooded Meadow Inn ...it was just over the old Cedar Bridge on the left side of the road....it later was The Eagles Club....
Meadow_Inn_burns.pdf
Fire Destroys Meadow Inn 1968March 28, 1968 - Minnesota Valley Sun

Fire gutted the clubroom of the former Meadow Inn at Cedar Avenue, just south of the Minnesota River...
Meadow_Inn_Star_Fri__Apr_14__1944_.jpg
Meadow Inn burnsApril 14, 1944 Minneapolis Star Tribune photo of fire at Meadow Inn, Cedar Avenue and Minnesota River.
meat_section.jpg
Cedarvale MallThe opening of Cedarvale brought a major grocery store - Applebaum's to the area. For some living in River Hills, shopping at Cedarvale was convenient. For many Burnsville high students, it meant a first job.

Founder Sid was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota on February 28, 1924 to Oscar and Bertha Applebaum. He was the youngest son and second youngest child of nine. His parents immigrated to the United States from Russia on their honeymoon. Oscar Applebaum sold produce door-to-door in St. Paul, Minnesota from a horse-drawn wagon. Oscar opened a fruit stand on the corner of St. Peter and 7th streets in downtown St. Paul with a $65 loan from his eldest son. That fruit stand became the first Applebaum's Food Market. As a young boy, Sid Applebaum bundled soap, bagged rice, worked as a box boy and delivered fruit and produce for his father’s fruit stand.

By 1979, the family business included about 30 metro-area Applebaum's stores and one in Duluth. In 1979, the chain was sold to National Tea Co., and Applebaum continued on, working for them.
Mendota-Heights-History-Map.pdf
The Heritage of Mendota Heights - from Township to Village and CityPrepared by the Mendota/West St. Paul Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society with the support of the City of Mendota Heights, this map features historical information and sketches of historic sites.
Mendota-History-Map.pdf
Walking in the footsteps of history (Mendota)Created by the Mendota/West St. Paul Chapter of the Dakota County
Historical Society, this map provided a walking tour of Mendota Minnesota.
mendota_2.jpg
Mendota train depotMendota Train depot.
mendota_3.jpg
Mendota train depotTrain depot at Mendota.
843 files on 29 page(s) 18