A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Neighboring Towns > Eagan, Mendota and Lilydale Minnesota

CedarvaleCedarvale, Mother's Day 1970 ad.
Stores at Cedarvale 1979Random ads for stores at Cedarvale appearing in the 1979 Eagan Fire Department telephone directory.
Cedarvale MallThe opening of Cedarvale brought a major grocery store - Applebaum's to the area. For some living in River Hills, shopping at Cedarvale was convenient. For many Burnsville high students, it meant a first job.

Founder Sid was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota on February 28, 1924 to Oscar and Bertha Applebaum. He was the youngest son and second youngest child of nine. His parents immigrated to the United States from Russia on their honeymoon. Oscar Applebaum sold produce door-to-door in St. Paul, Minnesota from a horse-drawn wagon. Oscar opened a fruit stand on the corner of St. Peter and 7th streets in downtown St. Paul with a $65 loan from his eldest son. That fruit stand became the first Applebaum's Food Market. As a young boy, Sid Applebaum bundled soap, bagged rice, worked as a box boy and delivered fruit and produce for his father’s fruit stand.

By 1979, the family business included about 30 metro-area Applebaum's stores and one in Duluth. In 1979, the chain was sold to National Tea Co., and Applebaum continued on, working for them.
Michael Burns barn struck by lightningJune 10, 1875 Mower County Transcript

Michael Burns barn struck by lightning.

Mr. Steak and Jerry Lewis Cinema1971 ad where Mr. Steak welcomes Jerry Lewis Cinema to Cedarvale.
Murphy HouseA popular "NIGHT CLUB" on Highway 13 in Eagan.
Ray Murphy purchases Valley HouseThe Valley House on Highway 13 has been purchased by Ray Murphy and will re-open as the Murphy House, December 1,
Murphy House 1965The newly opened Murphy House on Highway 13 is open for New Years Eve.
National Bank approved for Eagan Township 1963August 8, 1963 Dakota County Tribune

Valley National Bank approved....
Winter at the Tom and Mary Kennealy farmAt the time of this photo (late 1960s) Tom and Mary Connelly Kennealy were owners.
His parents Thomas and Julia and Grand parents Richard and Catherine also lived there.
Location - Silver Bell Road near Highway 13. The original Kennealy (Kenneally) farm was
in Eagan on a portion of Lebanon Hills Park.
Jerry's Home and Garden Showplace 2018The newer section of the Jerry building on Nicols Road, Eagan.
Eagan planners approve restaurant and bankJuly 4, 1974 Dakota County Tribune:

Eagan's advisory planning committee approves plans for a Perkins and a branch of Minnesota Federal Savings and Loan.
Cedarvale has facelift 1989March 29, 1989 Countryside - More than a year after Cedarvale Mall began its $2.2 million facelift,the facility is 35% vacant...
Eagan Chief of Police Roger New 2018Police Chief Roger New who was officially sworn in as Eagan's 6th Police Chief August, 2018 at the City Council meeting. Chief New replaces Chief James McDonald who retired on June 30, 2018, after 30 years of the service with the City of Eagan. Photo compliments of the City of Eagan.
New City logo Eagan, revealed 2017From the City of Eagan website: The unveiled a new logo and look in October, 2017 the product of two years of work involving community members and a nationally renowned graphic designer, who is also an Eagan resident passionate about his community. The need for a new logo was first suggested in 2015 by residents in a community visioning process known as Eagan Forward...
New Eagan tavern will focus on fried chicken 2017The July 25, 2017 Pioneer Press reports that the Valley Lounge in Eagan will re-open as the Yankee Tavern in September. It is located on Highway 13 and Yankee Doodle Road.
Eagan new logoDuring the last quarter of 2017 the City of Eagan introduced its new Lone Oak Tree logo.
New portion of Trinity Lone Oak ChurchThe oldest church in Eagan also near the site of the Lone Oak Tree. Founded in 1880, the church has been a landmark in Eagan. The first church building was dedicated in 1882 and served the members for over 20 years. The second church, plus numerous additions and upgrades have served the congregation for over one hundred years.
Cedar Grove establishes Fire DepartmentMarch 24, 1960 Dakota County Tribune -

Cedar Grove residents are developing a fire department...
Eagan City Hall 2019Work continues at the Eagan City Hall and Police Station during the 2019 expansion.
20 inch well for Cedar GroveJune 4, 1959 Dakota County Tribune -

The 20 inch well to serve Cedar Grove, the 2000 home community is now being drilled at HIghway 13 and Cedar Avenue...
Nicols Station remembered 1979Del Stelling, Sun Newspaper 7 -18-1979 remembers Nicols Station, the Scott Store and other early stores such as Berrisford and Garvey's in the Burnsville, Eagan and Savage communities.
Nicols - Eagan MinnesotaThe Jim Scott General Store and railroad depot stood in what was known as Nicols Station in Eagan. This postcard came from the Kennealy family in Eagan - undated.
Nicols MInnesotaThe portion of Eagan near todays Cedar Avenue and Highway 13 was known as Nicols. This story recalls residents of that area and business owner Jim Scott.
Site of Nicols Station today 2017The Nicols Station is long gone, as shown in this photo.

Nicols, a flag station was established in 1867 on the line of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway, in the northwest quarter of section 17, on land then owned by John Nichols.
Nicols Station grand opening 1980February 1 - 22, 1980 Nicols Station opens in Eagan.
Nicols Church moved to Rosemount 1938June 17, 1938 Dakota County Tribune

Moving operations of the St. John's church building now located near Nicols, have begun Rev. W. J. Pilgrim the pastor announced this week. The church will be located in the village of Rosemount, where this congregation has been invited to come...
The Nicols depot to closeThe Nicols Station, Eagan to close July 1964.

Nicols, a flag station was established in 1867 on the line of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway, in the northwest quarter of section 17, on land then owned by John Nichols.
Nicols Depot Eagan to close 1964July 9, 1964 Dakota County Tribune reports on the closing of the Nicols Depot. (Spelling is also seen as Nichols). This depot provided residents access to the train. (Photo cutline).
Nicols Dance HallAPRIL 23, 1926 Dakota County Tribune

The Merrry Micks will be at Nicols Hall!

946 files on 32 page(s) 22