A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Neighboring Towns > Eagan, Mendota and Lilydale Minnesota

checkout_at_applebaulms.jpg
Cedarvale MallThe opening of Cedarvale brought a major grocery store - Applebaum's to the area. For some living in River Hills, shopping at Cedarvale was convenient. For many Burnsville high students, it meant a first job.

Founder Sid was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota on February 28, 1924 to Oscar and Bertha Applebaum. He was the youngest son and second youngest child of nine. His parents immigrated to the United States from Russia on their honeymoon. Oscar Applebaum sold produce door-to-door in St. Paul, Minnesota from a horse-drawn wagon. Oscar opened a fruit stand on the corner of St. Peter and 7th streets in downtown St. Paul with a $65 loan from his eldest son. That fruit stand became the first Applebaum's Food Market. As a young boy, Sid Applebaum bundled soap, bagged rice, worked as a box boy and delivered fruit and produce for his father’s fruit stand.

By 1979, the family business included about 30 metro-area Applebaum's stores and one in Duluth. In 1979, the chain was sold to National Tea Co., and Applebaum continued on, working for them.
Christmas_Harolds.jpg
Harold's Center open for Christmas Shopping 1965Harold's had its grand opening November 19 - 27, 1965 and this ad appeared a few weeks later.
chronicle.pdf
Eagan Chronicle 2022 storyA profile of the Eagan Chronicle, founded by Mary Ziegenhagen.
church__4654.JPG
Trinity Lone Oak ChurchThe oldest church in Eagan also near the site of the Lone Oak Tree. Founded in 1880, the church has been a landmark in Eagan. The first church building was dedicated in 1882 and served the members for over 20 years. The second church, plus numerous additions and upgrades have served the congregation for over one hundred years.
city_hall_walkway.JPG
Windowed entry into Eagan City Hall 2017Upper level entry to the City Hall provides glass framing for an outside view.
City_of_Eagan_facts_2017.pdf
City of Eagan Facts 2017A brief overview of Eagan published in a 2017 Community Guide and Business Directory by the Eagan Firefighters Relief Association.
city_of_eagan_prior_logo.jpg
EaganWelcome to Eagan signage, prior to the logo change in 2017.
close_up_of_Eagan_barn.jpg
Cedarvale EaganOld Cedar Barn, behind Cedarvale - 2/8/04. Source - Tina Curtis. It was the Charles and Lillian Rueger farm originally.
close_up_of_sign.jpg
CedarvaleSign at Cedarvale.
clothes_and_photos.jpg
The Clothes Tree and Stransky PhotographyNovember 1968 ad for the Clothes Tree and Stransky Photography at Cedarvale.
cnh-architects-eagan-firestation-exterior-1920x1920.jpeg
Eagan Fire Station 1
4200 Blackhawk Road City Eagan ... Eagan, MN 55122

Designed for the Eagan Fire Department, Fire Station #1 replaces two older fire stations in a centralized location with quick access to this portion of the service area. The 16,500 square foot walk-out facility includes five apparatus bays on the lower level. Centrally located off the bays are the turnout gear lockers, decontamination, and support equipment storage, all of which are carefully designed to remove contaminants from the air brought back on vehicles, protective gear and equipment. The remainder of the first floor includes training rooms, offices, dispatch and wellness rooms. The firefighter living quarters including dayroom, kitchen, dining, dorms and laundry are arranged on the upper level between bays separated for air quality and quiet.

CNH Architects designed an exterior building image incorporating a central tower, lighted Maltese cross and clock elements, and a special “thin red line” lighting accent to memorialize all fallen firefighters. The site design includes a curved sign wall facing the main intersection capped by a tall flagpole. The goal was to create a landmark image within the community.
cnh-architects-eagan-firestation-exterior-view-1920x1920.jpeg
Eagan Fire Station 1 4200 Blackhawk Road City Eagan ... Eagan, MN 55122

Designed for the Eagan Fire Department, Fire Station #1 replaces two older fire stations in a centralized location with quick access to this portion of the service area. The 16,500 square foot walk-out facility includes five apparatus bays on the lower level. Centrally located off the bays are the turnout gear lockers, decontamination, and support equipment storage, all of which are carefully designed to remove contaminants from the air brought back on vehicles, protective gear and equipment. The remainder of the first floor includes training rooms, offices, dispatch and wellness rooms. The firefighter living quarters including dayroom, kitchen, dining, dorms and laundry are arranged on the upper level between bays separated for air quality and quiet.

CNH Architects designed an exterior building image incorporating a central tower, lighted Maltese cross and clock elements, and a special “thin red line” lighting accent to memorialize all fallen firefighters. The site design includes a curved sign wall facing the main intersection capped by a tall flagpole. The goal was to create a landmark image within the community.
coast_to_coast_1968.jpg
Coast to CoastNovember 1968 ad for Coast to Coast Hardware at Cedarvale.
coffey_farm.JPG
Ed and Sarah Coffey farm EaganThe Coffey farm stood on the border of Burnsville and Eagan in Eagan near the Super America at Highway 13 and County Road 30.
colonial_car_wash.jpg
Colonial Car Wash opens in Cedarvale 1968January 25, 1968 Dakota County Tribune:

Colonial Car Wash opened Saturday in the Cedarvale shopping Center...
completed_theatre.JPG
Jerry Lewis Movie Theatre opening at Cedarvale 1971August 12, 1971 Dakota County Tribune announces opening of Jerry Lewis Movie Theatre at Cedarvale.
cover_shot.jpg
Valley National Bank is MidAmerica BankValley National Bank is now MidAmerica Bank 1975.
cropped_version_of_raid.pdf
Dakota County clean-up campaign begun 1911The year 1911, seems some businessmen in Eagan are selling booze!

C_Grove_sign_April_30_2C_1959.JPG
Cedar Grove HomesApril 30, 1959 Dakota County Tribune - introducing Cedar Grove homes.
demolish_Milk_Depot_Eagan.jpg
Milk Depot EaganOnce known as the Milk Depot, the building behind Cedarvale in Eagan is torn down.
depot.JPG
Nicols Station in EaganAnother view of the Nicols Station Depot then located on Cedar Avenue (now Nicols Road). This depot would provide Burnsville and Eagan residents access to train travel.

Nicols, a flag station was established in 1867 on the line of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway, in the northwest quarter of section 17, on land then owned by John Nichols.

Diamond_T_Ranch~0.jpg
Diamond T RanchUndated, Diamond T Ranch, Eagan.
Diffley_homestead_EAgan.jpg
The Diffley farmThe Diffley farm was located in Eagan. Diffley Road is named in honor of this family.
diffley_road_change.jpg
Woodland Lane becomes Diffley Road also is County Road 30June 18, 1981 Dakota County Tribune

Wildwood Lane, also known as County Road 30, is now Diffley Road...
drive_to_old_bridge_6286.JPG
Nicols Road Entry to old Cedar Avenue BridgeOnce the two lane gravel road that lead to the original Cedar Avenue Bridge, this is the entry point at the Jens Caspersen landing going toward the biking/walking bridge.
drive_up_to_open.JPG
Valley National Bank 1972November 1972 newspaper photo showing the recently completed drive-up at Valley National Bank.
driving_opens.pdf
Cliff Road Driver Station activated 1968October 31, 1968 - Driving exam location opens in Eagan.
Eagan-History-Map.pdf
Historic sites of Eagan MapThis map was created by the Eagan Historical Society with the assistance of the Dakota County Historical Society showing the location of existing and past historic sites.
eagan-logo.jpg
City of Eagan logo2016 City of Eagan logo. Discussions are underway to update the logo in 2017.
eaganbarjuly.JPG
Valley View Lounge July 2017New owners remodeling the long time Eagan business located at 3385 Sibley Memorial Highway and established in 1931.
817 files on 28 page(s) 8