A powerful research tool for the serious or casual visitor.
Home > Religion

Most viewed - Religion
a_history_of_st_johns_1965.pdf
A history of St. John the Baptist 1965390 viewsPublished in 1965 in a parish directory, this is a transcript of the text.
A_night_with_the_Irish.pdf
Watch out, the Irish are coming 1961264 viewsMarch 16, 1961 - Minnesota Valley Review

All the sons and daughters of the Emerald Isle will be out in force this weekend celebrating St. Patrick's Day at St. John the Baptist's A NIGHT WITH THE IRISH...
19512610stjohnwedding.jpg
1951 Wedding at St. John the Baptist, Savage220 viewsThis photo shows the interior of the church in the 1950s.
89_25_1175_BU_Alicia_Mejia2C_Melissa_Dani_Lindsoe_Prince_of_Peace_fun_and_games_night_Feb_12C1978_Current.jpg
Prince of Peace fun night206 viewsAlicia Mejia, Melissa and Dani Lindsoe enjoy Prince of Peace fun and games night. February 1, 1978 Burnsville Current photo.
Fr__Majerus_retires_to_Burnsville.pdf
Fr. Harry Majerus returns to Burnsville in retirement 1991190 viewsFr. Majerus, former Associate Pastor of Mary Mother (1971 - 1980) then went to St. Mary's Parish in St Peter MInnesota and when he retired in 1991 moved to an apartment in Burnsville. He died in 1995.
full_church_Destiny.JPG
Destiny Church 2017120 viewsEstablished over 20 years ago and located at 12119 16th Avenue South. Destiny is a non-denominational faith-based church with a passion for people
1991_Mary_Mother_staff.pdf
Mary Mother of the Church 1991116 viewsA photo of the complete staff at Mary Mother of the Church in 1991. Pastor Fr. Donald Burns and Co-pastor Fr. James Zappa.
1967book.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church staff 1967103 viewsSister Eustasia, Sister Marie Magdalen, Fr. Donald Burns, Sister Mary Faith and Sister Deborah, from the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Monroe, Michigan.
18010598_10207170018448287_8543453086578319896_n.jpg
St. John the Baptist Cemetery, Byrnesville101 viewsToday this is known as the OLD section of the cemetery, but this pre-1902 photo shows the original section where pioneers including William Byrne are buried.

This hillside cemetery is maintained on a regular basis and is in good shape. The cemetery is located in the western section of the city of Burnsville, near the eastern edge of the city of Savage, in Scott county. This cemetery is the former Mount Calvary Cemetery.The burial rows in this cemetery do not line up well and it appears that the rows may have been angled slightly to compensate for the cemeteries location on the side of a large hill. This is more pronounced in the older northern half of this cemetery. Within the older northern section of this cemetery there were several old slab style monuments that had been broken off and were lying flat at ground level. This appeared to have occurred some time ago, as many of these loose monuments have sunken into the sod and have grass growing out of the cracks. In the 1910 "History of Dakota and Goodhue Counties, Minnesota", by Editor-In-Chief Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, he wrote: ‘... Mount Calvary Cemetery, located in section 15, was first consecrated to its use in 1859. It is a beautiful shady spot of two and one-half acres, owned and controlled by the St. John’s Church.’ (page 438)The Dakota county cemetery compilation lists this cemetery as: St. John the Baptist of Byrnsville Cemetery (formerly Mount Calvary), established 1859. 2 1/2 acres. Section 15, NE 1/4 of SE 1/4, Township 115, Range 21. Judicial Road between County Road 34 and Burnsville Parkway.This cemeteries burial monuments were transcribed during the spring of 2000.
Associate_pastors_Mary_Mother.pdf
Mary Mother of the Church101 viewsThe first four associate pastors: Fr. Harry Majerus 1971 - 1980, Fr. Stan Sledz 1980 - 1982, Fr. Tim Morin 1983 - 1989 and Fr. Tom Brioschi 1989 - 1990. Their photos appear in the 25th anniversary calendar 1991.
89_25_0290_BU_Fr__Wirth2C_Fr__Harry_Majerus_35th_anniv_Mary_Mother2C_Sr__Helen_Wallerich_MM2C_Fr__Gilbert.jpg
Fr. Harry Majerus Mary Mother of the Church.101 viewsCelebrating 35 years as a priest, shown with: Fr. Wirth, Fr. Majerus, Sister Helen Wallerich formerly at Mary Mother and Fr. Gilbert.
churchoftherisin6774.JPG
Church of the Risen Savior (Catholic) 2017100 viewsThe church is located at 1501 Co Rd 42 .In the late sixties, the township of Lebanon, now known as Apple Valley, grew rapidly. A new parish, officially named Church of the Risen Savior, was begun with 350 households from Burnsville & Lakeville as well as Apple Valley.
18118802_10207170017648267_202271306856604485_n.jpg
Interior of St John the Baptist of Byrnesville100 viewsThis was the third church, which burnt in 1902. The parish was moved to Hamilton/Savage, according to legend, because the town had a fire department.
89_25_1361_BU_Joanne_Tromiczak_presents_awareness_of_television_workshop_to_youth_at_Mary_Mother_Aug_102C_1977_Current.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church 1977100 viewsAwareness of Television presentation at Mary Mother for youth. Presented by Joanne Tromiczak. August 10,1977 Burnsville Current.
anniversarymary.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church, Cliff Road, Burnsville99 views2016 Celebration of their 50th anniversary.

Mary, Mother of the Church was established on September 7, 1965, by Archbishop Leo Binz. Father Donald Burns was named founding Pastor. The Church is located on 22 acres of former farmland, twenty of which were once owned by parishioner Joe Kennelly. The parish began with 550 charter households.

In 1966, thirty parishioners planted the 900 evergreen trees along the south border of the Mary Mother parish grounds. Today, many parishioners plant seeds of faith in giving their time and sharing their gifts in numerous ways. The first Sunday masses were held in the gymnasium of Cedar School in Eagan. All other religious activities were conducted at the former rectory located on North River Hills Drive.

In 1967 a Building and Finance Committee was formed and an architect commissioned for the construction of the church and the original Parish Center. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on March 9, 1969. Formal dedication followed on May 18th, with Archbishop Leo Binz presiding.

By the mid-1970s, the parish was serving 1,645 households. To accommodate this growth and expanding program needs, an addition to the Parish Center was built in 1976.

In 1986, the Parish Pastoral Council formed a Long Range Planning Committee to study and make recommendations for future needs in the areas of staffing, services, facilities, and finance. After thorough review, the existing Parish Center was renovated to maximize use of existing space, and construction of a new 18,000 square foot addition was built. The project was completed in November of 1988.

Mary Mother has grown and matured over the years and will begin celebrating its 50th anniversary in the fall of 2015. We are a parish with generous portions of both young and old. From our peak growth of 3,200 families and 10,000 people, we have since stabilized at about 2,000 families.
89_25_0310_BU_Berean_Baptist_Nov_1__1978_Current.jpg
Berean Baptist Church 197898 viewsNovember 1, 1978 Burnsville Current photo of the church.
1935stjohnsearly.jpg
St, John the Baptist Catholic Church Savage97 viewsEarly photo of St. Johns after being rebuilt in Savage. Note the rectory, moved from Burnsville in background. Until 1965 St. John the Baptist in Savage was the parish for most of Burnsville, until the creation of Mary Mother of the Church.
19010120stjohnsburnsville.jpg
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church when in Burnsville Third church96 viewsSt. John the Baptist Catholic Church was chartered in October of 1854 as the 13th Catholic congregation in the Diocese of St. Paul. The first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Augustine Ravoux, a missionary priest, in 1853 in the home of William Byrne.

That year, a log structure was built and a cemetery consecrated on land donated by the Byrne family. This parcel of land was in Burnsville, located near Judicial Road. In 1866, a frame structure was built and a new bell that is still used today weighing 1,800 pounds was installed in the tower. Bishop Grace dedicated the church in October 1866. On April 13, 1883, the frame structure burned to the ground.

IN PHOTO -- Another frame structure was built and was dedicated by Archbishop John Ireland in 1885. On Candlemas, 1902, a wood burning stove caused a fire and this church, too, burned to the ground. The Archbishop decreed another church would be built for the congregation of St. John the Baptist, but this time, the building would be located in the neighboring town of Hamilton (now called Savage) which among other amenities boasted an organized fire department.

The brick church was built at the cost of $11,497 and its cornerstone was laid on Oct. 5, 1902. The bell from the previous frame structures was recast and installed in the steeple of the new church. Fr. John A. Kane served as pastor until 1931.

On July 5, 1955, parishioners celebrated the church's 100th anniversary. Fr. Albert Ziskovsky, the pastor at the anniversary, had a special dream to build a parish school. By the time he left St. John's, he had raised $32,000. A new pastor made the dream a reality and on June 24, 1959, St. John the Baptist Catholic School and Convent were dedicated.

In the following decades, the congregation continued to grow and plans were made to replace the 1902 church. In 1984, the 1902 church was torn down and the structure in which St. John's parishioners worship today was built in its place. The cornerstone from the 1902 church, now installed near the church 125th Street entrance, is a reminder of the parish's tradition.

Additions to the school and church in 1965, 1994 and 2000 created the present St. John campus which serves more than 2,100 families, representing more than 6,600 individuals. In 2009, the parish celebrated the 25th anniversary of the new church, the 50th anniversary of the school and the 20th anniversary of the preschool.
baptism_mary_mother.JPG
Baptism Font - Mary Mother of the Church 201795 viewsAt the entry to Mary Mother of the Church is the large Holy Water/Baptism font.
19471712markryanstjohns22.jpg
Interior of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Savage94 viewsThis 1947 wedding of Mark Ryan and Margaret Connelly shows the interior walls and altar area prior to the 1950s redecorating. Note the statues are on the "wall".
77_9470_2083_risen_savior.jpg
Church of the Risen Savior 197694 viewsExterior photo of the Catholic parish located on County Road 42 serving portions of Burnsville, Apple Valley and Lakeville.
77_9470_0743_BU_Rev_Bill_Horn_Berean_Baptist_1979.jpg
Rev. Bill Horn 197994 viewsPastor of Berean Baptist Church.
89_25_0315_BU_Nancy_Gotto2C_Ron_Peacock2C_Gloria_Tentis_Mary_Mother_music_1978.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church Music 197894 viewsNancy Gotto, Ron Peacock, Gloria Tentis members of one of the Mary Mother of the Church music groups 1978.
19065000berrisfordgarvey.jpg
Berrisford/Garvey Store Burnsville Savage92 viewsBuilt as the Berrisford Store in Burnsville, after St. John the Baptist Church burnt in 1902 and was rebuilt in "Hamilton" Savage, the Berrisford Store was moved into town. At the time of this photo it is the Garvey Store.
byair.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church92 viewsAir view of Mary Mother of the Church, Cliff Road, Burnsville, 1980s.
chapel_6784.JPG
Church of the Risen Savior (Catholic) 201791 viewsChapel for daily Mass at Risen Savior.
19010130stjohnsburnsville.jpg
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church when in Burnsville (Third Church)91 viewsSt. John the Baptist Catholic Church was chartered in October of 1854 as the 13th Catholic congregation in the Diocese of St. Paul. The first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Augustine Ravoux, a missionary priest, in 1853 in the home of William Byrne.

That year, a log structure was built and a cemetery consecrated on land donated by the Byrne family. This parcel of land was in Burnsville, located near Judicial Road. In 1866, a frame structure was built and a new bell that is still used today weighing 1,800 pounds was installed in the tower. Bishop Grace dedicated the church in October 1866. On April 13, 1883, the frame structure burned to the ground.

THIS PHOTO Another frame structure was built and was dedicated by Archbishop John Ireland in 1885. On Candlemas, 1902, a wood burning stove caused a fire and this church, too, burned to the ground. The Archbishop decreed another church would be built for the congregation of St. John the Baptist, but this time, the building would be located in the neighboring town of Hamilton (now called Savage) which among other amenities boasted an organized fire department.

The brick church was built at the cost of $11,497 and its cornerstone was laid on Oct. 5, 1902. The bell from the previous frame structures was recast and installed in the steeple of the new church. Fr. John A. Kane served as pastor until 1931.

On July 5, 1955, parishioners celebrated the church's 100th anniversary. Fr. Albert Ziskovsky, the pastor at the anniversary, had a special dream to build a parish school. By the time he left St. John's, he had raised $32,000. A new pastor made the dream a reality and on June 24, 1959, St. John the Baptist Catholic School and Convent were dedicated.

In the following decades, the congregation continued to grow and plans were made to replace the 1902 church. In 1984, the 1902 church was torn down and the structure in which St. John's parishioners worship today was built in its place. The cornerstone from the 1902 church, now installed near the church 125th Street entrance, is a reminder of the parish's tradition.

Additions to the school and church in 1965, 1994 and 2000 created the present St. John campus which serves more than 2,100 families, representing more than 6,600 individuals. In 2009, the parish celebrated the 25th anniversary of the new church, the 50th anniversary of the school and the 20th anniversary of the preschool.
burnsandstaff.jpg
Staff at Mary Mother of the Church90 viewsSeated - Sister Anne, Sister Helen, Dee Selchow
Standing, Fr. Burns, Sister Mary Margaret, Sister Genevieve, Fr. Majerus.
book219_67.jpg
Mary Mother of the Church original building committee90 viewsThe parish began with services at Cedar School in Eagan, until a church could be built. This is the original building committee.
archbishop_decree.jpg
Official Decree establishing Mary Mother of the Church90 viewsSeptember 7, 1965 then Archbishop Leo Binz, Archbishop of St. Paul established Mary Mother of the Church to serve areas of Burnsville, Eagan and Lebanon Township (now Apple Valley).
772 files on 26 page(s) 1